SAN DIEGO — CNN.com reports that video of Oceanside resident John Tyner’s refusal of an X-ray scan at Lindberg Field on Nov. 13 has sparked a debate over screening procedures.
The Transportation Security Administration, or TSA, said Nov. 15 that it tries to be sensitive to individuals but that anyone who is getting on a flight must be screened.
Tyner, 31, told CNN on Nov. 14 that he was surprised by the reaction to the video, but that he hoped the video will bring attention to what he calls a government invasion of privacy.
Tyner was on his way to go hunting in South Dakota, but didn’t end up leaving San Diego
“I don’t think that the government has any business seeing me naked as a condition of traveling about the country,” Tyner said.
Tyner recorded a cell phone video of his arguments with security screeners and it had more than 200,000 hits on YouTube by Nov. 15.
Tyner could face a civil penalty as high as $11,000, according to Michael Aguilar, the TSA’s federal security director in San Diego.
Janet Napolitano, Homeland Security secretary, met with travel industry leaders to discuss the issue.
“If you refuse the (Advanced Imaging Technology) altogether, then you can go to a separate area for a same-gender pat down,” she told reporters on Nov. 15. “If there are adjustments we need to make as we move forward, we have an open ear,” she said. “We will listen.”
The Coast News has been delivering high-quality news, community voice and storytelling since its inception in 1987. Since then, the news organization has grown into a successful newsgroup covering a majority of San Diego’s populous North County region.