Son of police captain sentenced for attacking mother

FALLBROOK — On Oct. 16, a San Diego Superior Court judge sentenced Reginald Grigsby Jr., the son of an Oceanside police captain, to 365 days in county jail for an attack on his mother this past spring.
Reginald Grigsby Jr., 25, pleaded guilty in September to a single count of an assault with a deadly weapon relating to the May 23 attack on his mother, Desirah Grigsby, that ended with his father, Reginald Grigsby, shooting the young man in the couple’s Fallbrook home.
Desirah Grigsby suffered a broken nose and was choked unconscious, prosecutors have said.
Reginald Grigsby Jr., who has credit for more than 200 days served in jail, will spend the majority of his remaining sentence at North Star Assertive Community Treatment in Escondido for his mental health issues, Deputy District Attorney Brenda Daly said outside the courtroom.
Daly said Reginald Grigsby Jr. would be monitored by the treatment center for the next five years, which coincides with his probation. If he violates his probation, he faces up to three years in prison.
Additionally, Judge Robert Kearney ordered Reginald Grigsby Jr. to complete 100 hours of community service. Prior to the incident, he had been a volunteer at the Boys & Girls Club. Kearney acknowledged his past volunteer work, but reinforced that it’s even more important to take care of oneself first.
Kearney called the incident “tragic” and “unacceptable,” and said Reginald Grigbsy Jr.’s mother should have never experienced it nor should his father had to make that choice.
Reginald Grigsby Jr. had been originally charged with attempted murder and assault causing great bodily injury. A graduate of Oceanside’s El Camino High School, the former San Diego State football player, had faced up to 14 years in prison.
After apologizing to his family and girlfriend who were in attendance at his sentencing, Reginald Grigsby Jr. said he would be seeking treatment for his mental health issue, which everyone involved with the case, including the judge, believed was at the root of the attack.
“I did something really bad and I’m not going to let it happen again,” Reginald Grigsby Jr. said as he stood behind the opaque glass of the courtroom holding cell wearing a blue jail jumpsuit. “I have a health condition and I’m ready to be treated for it.”
Reginald Grigsby echoed his son’s sentiments. “I have supported the law in both theory and its practical application,” he said as he held his typed speech trying to fight back the tears. “I have stood between victims and perpetrators of crime, of this matter, the issue here is one of healing for our family and the accountability measures that will be put in place.”
An investigation into whether any criminal charges could be filed against the elder Grigsby is ongoing, Daly said.


Log in with your credentials


Forgot your details?