News Old - DO NOT USE - The Coast News Rancho Santa Fe

Scam artist arrested in Carlsbad

CARLSBAD — Carlsbad police received information earlier this week that a known scam artist had recently moved into the area.
John Philip Scafetta was wanted in the states of Florida, New York, and Contra Costa County in California for sales misrepresentations, grand theft, and fraudulent check charges.
Carlsbad police apprehended Scafetta Feb. 20 at the Motel 6, at 751 Rain Tree, on arrest warrants for charges listed above.
In spite of the diligence police displayed in tracking Scafetta down and arresting him, several victims within the city of Carlsbad have already surfaced as a result of his criminal technique to fraudulently defraud businesses.
Primo’s Pizza, Maria Callenders, and Pizza Shuttle are already confirmed victims of his scam. Typically, Scafetta poses as an advertiser, approaches businesses and offers to display advertising information on the faces of hotel/motel key cards as a way of generating business. He does this utilizing a fraudulent contract, and accepts a fee usually around $500 from each business. He then cashes the checks immediately, and leaves the area without performing the services he offered to provide.
Any other businesses owners who feel they have been victimized by Scafetta are encouraged to call Carlsbad police to report their crimes. Detective Scott Stallman is their point of contact and can be reached at (760) 931-2143.

Related posts

551264

admin

Artists Alliance opens applications for show

staff

Blakespear, seven others call on governor to boost anti-violence funding

Coast News wire services

Council releases funds for farm worker housing

alyx.sariol

Support offered to injured San Marcos teen

gideon.marcus

Lawsuit could be tied to E-Street Cafe’s demise

Aaron Burgin

7 comments

Dean P February 22, 2010 at 8:51 pm

John Scafetta scammed my family out of $25,000. I have 100% proof, documents, bank statements, you name it. Thank god you caught this criminal. I have been to the FBI, Civil Attorney, etc. He has been hard to track down. I will be contacting my local police department here in Florida tomorrow as well as calling the the Detective above.

Phil May 20, 2014 at 6:49 am

Dean — In your Feb 22, 2010 response to The Coast News article about the capture of the Florida felon and scammer, John Scafetta, you stated you had docs, bank statements, etc. Might you have John or Deborah Scafetta’s SSN. I won a judgement against these scum bags in 2009 but was unable to find either after the CA court freed John Scafetta and he failed to appear for a hearing. I recently turned my judgment ove to a tracking & collection firm which finds these deadbeats & puts liens on their personal property to satisfy the order.
I have John Jr’s (the son) SSN, which John Sr used, but do not have either John Sr or Deborah’s SSN. If you have it, I would appreciate the info. I’m going to find these bastards — since 1992, they have left a trail of destruction consisting of numerous court cases for failing to pay rents, security deposits, theft, destruction of property, failure to appear in both the FL and CA courts, failure to pay nearly $10,000 in back federal income taxes in 1989,90, & 91, back court costs & attorney’s fees, — the list goes on & on. Need your help on this if you can.

Phil

Paul May 9, 2015 at 1:14 pm

Their daughter lives in Irondequoit (Rochester), NY. Guaranteed they are in contact with her.

anonymous February 28, 2010 at 8:34 am
Philsboat@gmail.com June 17, 2010 at 6:41 pm

Although this felon & fugitive was caught, between 2/21/10 and 6/16/10, Scafetta was set free, presumably on bond, by the northern Calif court that was doing the warrant on him. He failed to appear in court, as he did in Florida about 10 years ago, and wanders free to continuing scamming businesses and indivuduals. This guy, along with his accomplice wife, Debbie, and son John must be captured and put away!!!

wunder scam July 27, 2013 at 9:34 am

Normally I do not examine post upon sites, on the other hand need to declare that this write-up pretty pushed me to take a peek with plus do it! A person’s writing style may be shocked everyone. Appreciate it, pretty good article.

Paul May 9, 2015 at 1:16 pm

Their daughter lives in Irondequoit (Rochester) NY I am sure that they are in contact with her.

Comments are closed.