OCEANSIDE — Two Marines charged with fatally stabbing an Oceanside businessman conspired to kill the young man, the Deputy District Attorney prosecuting the case said Aug. 28.
Pfc. Xavier Akeam Adams, 19, and Lance Cpl. Raphael Roshod Davis Ramey, 20, bought two knives and pry bars from Wal-Mart before meeting with Charles Evan Williams Aug. 23 at his business in the 900 block of South Coast Highway, Deputy District Attorney Minaz Bhayani said.
Williams owned and operated Classic Luxury Street Concepts, an automotive restoration shop.
Ramey had become angry because a car part he had already paid for had not arrived yet, Bhayani said. “They make an appointment with the victim, and I don’t think this is coincidence, on a Sunday, a slow business day when there is virtually no one around,” Bhayani said.
Minaz said the two defendants, both Marines stationed at Camp Pendleton, targeted Williams’ head area. He said they stabbed him at least 14 times in the neck and left multiple bruises on his face. The longest laceration was nine inches long, the prosecutor said.
“This was a pretty horrific attack,” Bhayani said.
Following the attack, the defendants stole Williams’ Cadillac, the prosecutor said.
Adams and Ramey, who are both from Texas, were arrested the following day at an apartment in the 700 block of Fallbrook Street in Fallbrook, police said. It is unknown if the two knew each other before being stationed at Camp Pendleton, authorities said.
At their arraignment hearing Aug. 26, Adams and Ramey both pleaded not guilty to a first-degree murder with the allegation that they used a knife to commit the crime. If convicted of the murder charge and allegation, they face 26 years to life in prison, Bhayani said.
Because it is early in the investigation, Bhayani said his office is still looking into the possibility of charging the case as a special circumstance, which would enable the prosecution to seek the death penalty.
Currently, it is believed the only criminal record between the defendants is a misdemeanor trespassing conviction for Adams.
Both men remain in custody on $10 million bail. Their preliminary hearing is scheduled for Sept. 10 at the San Diego Superior Court in Vista.
The Coast News has been delivering high-quality news, community voice and storytelling since its inception in 1987. Since then, the news organization has grown into a successful newsgroup covering a majority of San Diego’s populous North County region.