Fast Features Old - DO NOT USE - The Coast News Rancho Santa Fe

Carlsbad woman suing TSA over what she calls invasive search

ALBUQUERQUE — Adrienne Durso, of Carlsbad,is suing the TSA for an invasive pat-down at the Albuquerque Sunport back in August.

Durso said the TSA was “heavily concentrating on my breast area where I told her I had a mastectomy the year previous and in just seemed to go on and on.”

She says she felt humiliated as the extensive pat-down happened in front of her 17 year old son and hundreds of other travelers.

“I felt as though I didn’t have any rights other than I had to stand there and let them do what they want to do to my body,” Durso said.

She says she knew her rights had been violated so she asked to speak to a supervisor who she thought would help.

All the while her son stood by her side and couldn’t remain silent anymore

“My son, who I’m very proud of spoke up and said ‘I went through the metal detector and I did not get a pat-down’ to which the supervisor said ‘well you don’t have boobs’,” she said.

That statement was the last straw for Durso – so she contacted the lawfirm of Drinker, Biddle and Reath. Her attorney, Alex Brodsky, says this whole ordeal violates her 4th Amendment rights which protects Americans from unreasonable search and seizure.

“We think that these searches given the invasiveness and given the extensiveness of these searches are really more akin to something like a strip search and certainly as a result we think we have a strong case,” Brodsky said.

Durso says she isn’t doing this for money or fame but rather for countless other Americans who take to the skies for travel.

“I thought, ‘you know, surely this story must mean something to somebody, maybe this will help somebody who is trying to change the situation at airports because I don’t think anybody should have to go through this,” Durso said.

The TSA says it’s asking government security experts if there is a way to make the security pat-down less invasive but just as thorough but they haven’t commented on this case specifically.

5 comments

Dr Kibble December 13, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Thank goodness there are still some people who will stand up for their rights (and ours) and refuse to submit to tyranny like sheep or cattle.

merced December 13, 2010 at 1:33 pm

Lisa Simeone December 13, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Thank you, Ms. Durso, for having the courage not only to speak up for our Constitution, something many Americans seem never to have heard of, but also for pursuing this through the legal system.
EPIC (Electronic Privacy Information Center) has also filed suit, as have several other individual people around the country. The ACLU is gathering stories — they’ll need ammo for a lawsuit — and I encourage you to go over to their website and submit yours.
The childish fantasy of 100% security not only doesn’t exist, it’s dangerous. All the people who are just thrilled to give up their civil liberties, one by one — I bet they also yammer on their cellphones while driving. That’s only, oh, about 10 million times more likely to get them killed, yet they continue to do it and then to prattle on about "security" and "safety."
These scanners and these gropefests are baloney. They’re a billion-dollar boondoggle for Chertoff, Rapiscan, et. al, and they’re deliberately coercive — so that a willing populace will allow ever more invasive, ever more abusive practices with nary a peep.
We are citizens, not criminals. And we are human beings with dignity, not sheep — at least those of us still willing to stand up for our rights.

Elizabeth Conley December 14, 2010 at 5:47 am

On and on – On and on – On and on:

The TSA won’t stop until we make them stop by taking them to court or convincing our lazy legislators to serve our best interests for a change.

By the way, Albuquerque residents seem largely unaware of these police and DA shenanigans:

Trial now to convene some time in January or February, because the prosecution needs still MORE time to prepare to lose this case.

Ysolei December 20, 2010 at 10:42 am

« merced wrote on Monday, Dec 13 at 01:33 PM »
"Would you rather have some idiot on your plane trying to blow it up. Get a life its the world we live it"
NO, HELL NO!!!! WE WILL NOT LIVE WITH IT. PEOPLE LIKE YOU ARE THE IDIOTS, GIVING UP YOUR FREEDOM FOR "SECURITY" YOU ARE A JOKE.

Read more: Coast News Group – Carlsbad woman suing TSA over what she calls invasive search

Comments are closed.