ENCINITAS — More than 100 years ago at S.M. Holbrooks grocery store, 38 residents signed a petition to start a library in Cardiff.
Not long after, county officials granted the request. On March 18, 1914, a library opened at Cardiff’s oldest building, where Patagonia stands today.
Since then, the library has hopscotched around the community.
When a building wasn’t available from 1950 to 1960, a bookmobile served Cardiff. Finally in 1961, the library moved to a space at 2139 Newcastle Avenue.
Years later, its future there looked in doubt. In 1984 Friends of the Cardiff Library formed, and the organization helped find a new spot at Cardiff Town Center. Later, due to uncertain rental conditions, the threat of closure again hung over the library.
Through fundraising, the new library was built and opened in 2003 at 2081 Newcastle Avenue.
On March 22, the library celebrated 100 years of service with a half-price book sale, speakers and entertainment. Photos by Jared Whitlock