CARLSBAD — The city of Carlsbad is offering free curbside pickup and drop-off bin locations for Christmas trees through Jan. 9.
The trees will be recycled and converted into mulch to be used throughout San Diego County. Curbside tree pick up will take place on residents’ normally scheduled collection days.
Drop off locations in Carlsbad include Calavera Hills Community Park, 2997 Glasgow Dr., Stagecoach Community Park, 3420 Camino de los Coches, Poinsettia Community Park, 6600 Hidden Valley Rd., and Fire Station 1, 1275 Carlsbad Village Dr.
For the week of Dec. 28, collection will be delayed one day for customers normally serviced on Friday.
When placing trees for curbside collection, follow these guidelines:
• Remove all decorations, including tinsel, lights, ornaments and tree stands.
• Trees taller than six feet must be cut in half and placed next to your green waste cart.
• When possible, residents are asked to cut down the tree so that it fits inside the green waste cart, with the lid closed for collection.
• Please note that flocked trees cannot be recycled and must be disposed of through regular trash service. Flocked trees must fit into the trash cart, with the lid closed for collection.
For the creative recycler, other ideas for repurposing a tree include:
• Bird feeders: Place the Christmas tree in the garden or backyard and use it as a bird feeder and sanctuary. Fresh orange slices or strung popcorn will attract the birds and they can sit in the branches for shelter.
• Mulch: A Christmas tree is biodegradable; its branches can be removed, chipped, and used as mulch in the garden.
• Living, rooted trees: Of course, you can get a rooted tree and then plant it in your yard after Christmas.
For more information, contact Waste Management at (760) 929-9400 or visit northcounty.wm.com