Candidates begin filing paperwork for Encinitas government spots

ENCINITAS — The field of Encinitas City Council hopefuls is slowly taking shape, though no one has officially filed for a Nov. 4 run.

Voters will decide two council seats in November, including the city’s first elected mayor. Kristin Gaspar and Teresa Barth, who announced in April that she would not seek re-election, currently hold the two seats.

So far, four people have requested nomination paperwork for the mayoral election since the filing period opened July 14 — current councilman Tony Kranz; Alex Fidel, a 23-year-old self-described peace activist and journalist; Al Rodbell, a local activist who has been critical of the city’s $10 million purchase of the Pacific View Elementary School Site; and Munawer “Mike” Bawany, a local engineer.

Gaspar, who has been considering running for mayor, has not pulled papers, Encinitas City Clerk Kathy Hollywood said. Hollywood said Gaspar said she would make a decision as early as next week.

Two people have pulled papers for the council vacancy. Catherine Blakespear, a local attorney, and Julie Graboi, a regular council meeting attendee, both have actively campaigned for several months, and have expressed similar points of view on hot-button topics, including density-bonus developments.

Both Graboi and Blakespear have spoken on various topics at council meetings in advance the filing period.

The filing period closes at 6 p.m. Aug. 8.


Log in with your credentials


Forgot your details?

Skip to toolbar