ENCINITAS – No injuries were reported following a grease fire at the El Callejon restaurant Thursday morning.
The call came in at 9:21 a.m. with four Encinitas Fire Department engines, a truck and an ambulance responding to the location in the Moonlight Plaza shopping center on Coast Highway 101.
The grease fire started in the restaurant’s kitchen, according to Darrin Ward, deputy chief of operations. Flames spread to the floor when employees tried to put the fire out before using a fire extinguisher. By the time firefighters arrived the fire was out.
Grease fires should be put out by turning off the heat and placing a lid on the pan; water should never be used.