CAMP PENDLETON — On Tuesday, 863 civilian government employees returned to base after being sent home a week ago by the federal shutdown, according to Camp Pendleton Public Affairs Lt. Ryan Finnegan.
The Department of Defense reversed furloughs for many of its military workers after reviewing the applicability of a federal bill known as the Pay Our Military Act, which extended pay for military-related employees during the government shutdown.
Also, Camp Pendleton’s three commissaries reopened after closing last week, sending 116 employees back to work. At the commissaries, food prices are less expensive than normal grocery stores, and purchases are tax-free. The commissaries are important for military families on a budget, according to Finnegan.
While many civilian government employees who work for the Department of Defense have returned, roughly 800 civilian employees on Camp Pendleton remain furloughed.
“This has been a very disruptive year for our people, including active duty, National Guard and reserve personnel, and Department of Defense civilians and contractors, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said in a press release. “Many important activities remain curtailed while the shutdown goes on.”
Civilians under furlough, Hagel said, face the uncertainty of not knowing when they will receive their next paycheck.