Trial begins for the 2005 murder of O’side woman

OCEANSIDE — A young woman on April 22 revealed details about a former Oceanside “meth” house where a 24-year-old girl was allegedly murdered and then dismembered more than five years ago. Yesenia Green, then just 18 years old, said she used to tag along with her now ex-boyfriend, Cesar Sidon, when he would visit the victim’s residence on East Parker Street. Green’s testimony came on the first day of Joaquin Murrieta Martinez’s murder trial for the gruesome slaying of Janina Hardoy. Green testified the defendant and Hardoy, as well as several other people, rented the single-family home, which is located in a northeast neighborhood near the back gate of Camp Pendleton.
Hardoy was last seen Feb. 2, 2005. She had moved into the house a few months prior. According to court documents, Hardoy was “do-gooder” who started allowing young transient people she met at the Oceanside Pier to move in. Martinez, 32, was one of those people.
According to Green, people were always coming and going from the house, which consisted of a young crowd. She said drugs were used in the house regularly, especially methamphetamines. Further, she said everyone seemed to get along except for Hardoy who argued with Martinez and his girlfriend, Lisa Brown. At times she said the trio would “scream” across the room at each other. On Feb. 1, 2005, Green said she and Sidon went over to the defendant’s house. The trio left after an argument broke out in the house, but returned several hours later. At this point, Green, who had been driving Sidon and Martinez, said the defendant appeared to be under the influence of heroin. As Sidon and Martinez stood a short distance away from Green near the garage, she testified she overheard Martinez say in a serious tone, “OK, by the time you get back the bitch will be dead.” Green said she and Sidon left and then returned several hours later. During that stay, which lasted approximately 30 minutes, she said when Sidon asked to use the bathroom, Martinez directed the young man to the back bathroom located in Hardoy’s room. When Sidon returned she said, “He looked a little surprised.”
Later that evening, Green said Sidon got a call and left saying that he would be back. When he didn’t return in the morning, Green said she called and, after no response, went over to the East Parker residence. She said nobody answered, which was unusual, and the garage windows appeared to be recently painted. When authorities performed a welfare check at the residence for Hardoy on Feb. 5, 2005, they encountered evidence that led them to believe she was mutilated, Oceanside Sgt. Aaron Doyle testified. During the check, police arrested Martinez, who at the time was a parolee-at-large. Martinez had fled out the back of the residence on foot, but was apprehended 10 minutes later by a police canine in a nearby shed. Another roommate, Liko Hussey, told police Hardoy had moved back up to Orange County. Hardoy had family in the San Francisco Bay Area and Orange County, according to witness testimony. Hussey, along with four other people — Brown, Sidon, Joseph E. Cooper and Wendy Villasenor — have pleaded guilty for their roles in covering up the murder. Cooper and Villasenor also resided at the house. Prosecutors allege Martinez, a Mexican Mafia gang member, murdered Hardoy and then dismembered her body. Police recovered a backpack belonging to Hardoy, which contained the victim’s hands and feet, from a dumpster at Sycamore Creek Trailer park in the 700 block of East Vista in Vista, court records state. Despite an extensive search, which included an East County landfill, Hardoy’s body was never recovered. If convicted, Martinez faces life in prison. Martinez, who is also a Vista gang member, told police that he directed Hardoy’s dismemberment, but didn’t not kill her, court records state. He admitted to injecting Hardoy, at her request, with heroin shortly before her death. According to court documents, Martinez fingered Hussey as the person who suffocated Hardoy with a pillowcase. He said Hussey was supposed to burn the backpack containing Hardoy’s body parts. However, Brown said the defendant had poisoned Hardoy and when that didn’t kill her, he smothered her with a pillow, court records show. Authorities believe Hardoy was murdered because her roommates feared that she was going to turn them into the police for a series of North County bank robberies they had committed. In his opening arguments, Martinez’s attorney, Daniel Mitts, said his client didn’t kill Hardoy. He said he believed the victim died from an accidental overdose and her body was then disposed of by someone else in the house. He said the case “shows the horrible consequences of drug abuse,” and the mindset of heavy methamphetamine users.


Log in with your credentials


Forgot your details?