New Ronald McDonald House opens in June

SAN DIEGO — Until recently, Ronald McDonald House staff has been forced to turn 100 families away per month because there simply weren’t vacancies in the 12-bedroom facility.
The good news is, on June 13 Ronald McDonald House of San Diego will open a new “home away from home” that quadruples the space and number of bedrooms for families, and houses a new Family Care Center to provide a refuge during the day for anyone with a sick child in the hospital. An opening day event will begin at 11 a.m. at 2929 Children’s Way, directly across from Rady Children’s Hospital in San Diego, atop a six-story parking garage.
“Finally, Ronald McDonald House will be able to help even more families find refuge as they go through some of the most difficult challenges of their lives, and support them in a much more comprehensive way, “ said Bill Lennartz, president and chief executive officer of Ronald McDonald House of San Diego. “
Each of the 47 bedrooms sleeps up to five family members, has a full bath, desk and chair, wireless Internet access and a phone. Families also have access to the family kitchen, equipped with six cooking stations, a well-stocked community pantry and individual refrigerators to use as they would at home.
“Families in crisis often spend days by their children’s bedsides without a break. The new Family Care Center provides a much-needed sanctuary from the hospital for all family members, from young siblings to parents,” said Michael W. Murphy, president and CEO of Sharp HealthCare.
The new house has been built utilizing strict green building standards. Using a combination of high-efficiency mechanical systems and envelope and lighting design, the project uses 17.5 percent less energy than a typical building in California. Materials used to create the building contain significant amounts of recycled content. During construction, Barnhart was careful to recycle over 50 percent of the construction waste, and after construction, the completed building will provide recycling collection stations for house guests and employees.
RMHC is a 501(C)(3) non-profit that receives 20 percent of its funding from local McDonald’s Restaurant owners and operators. The remaining 80 percent needed to operate the house and serve families must be raised through donations from individuals, corporations and foundations. For more information, visit or call (858) 467-4750.


Log in with your credentials


Forgot your details?